Re: Installation problem with ydl champion server 1.0 (fwd)

Subject: Re: Installation problem with ydl champion server 1.0 (fwd)
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 06:45:37 MDT

Anyone have any ideas?

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:47:00 +0200
From: Stephane LAGARDE <lagarde@esrf.fr>
Subject: Re: Installation problem with ydl champion server 1.0

Hi,

I have a problem to boot YDL V1.0 on my G3 Tower 300Mhz/190Mo RAM/4Go linux
ATA hard disk/8Go Macos.
The installation was a success, it gave me the default root name for BootX
App "root device= dev/hdb6 ".I saved preferences with "without ramdisk" and
"ramdisk_size=8912" in kernel argument. ( note my second ATA hard disk is
in slave mode )

Before installation, the hard disk was HFS formatted (as requested by ydl
notice), and atfer launching terrasoft installer, fdisk has mounted all
partitions as following:
hdb6 swap native
hdb7 linux native
hdb8 linux native
hdb9 linux native
hdb10 linux native

I noted that five hard drive icons displayed on my MACOS desktop are
vanished: so I considered that fdisk does its works ! ( And the installer's
bad sectors checker wasn't found wrong on this disk )

The installer does it job ( 800Mo files installed ), and a window warn me
to put in BootX App "/dev/hdb6" before booting linux without ramdisk. I
come back into macOS for launching linux by BootX App without ramdisk and
with "/dev/hdb6".

And during the boot, the partitions checker found fives linux native blocks
( hdb slave )and one HFS block ( hda master )... So the boot recongnize
linux native "disks".

And an Error message: "VFS kernel panic: can't mount root device fs in
00:00" force my G3 to reboot in 180 seconds!!!!! ( that's only different
message with scsi HD, the boot wrote "VFS mounting root device - ok" and
follow its job until linux mouse installer & desktop )

So I tried to put "root device: /dev/hdb7" (HFS root): it didn't work...
Same results with:
"root device: /dev/hdb6" (HFS swap) with hdb=noautotune and without
hdb=noautotune
"root device: /dev/hdb8" (HFS var) with hdb=noautotune and without
hdb=noautotune
"root device: /dev/hdb9" (HFS tmp) with hdb=noautotune and without
hdb=noautotune
"root device: /dev/hdb10" (HFS home) with hdb=noautotune and without
hdb=noautotune

Note that it always works with using "ramdisk" option, installation process
was the same ( with "/dev/sda6" ) for my external SCSI and it's work
perfectly, but no enough to work with a 540Mo HD !!!! So the problem is
really a sort of software's ( or parameter's ) conflict with IDE !!! What
and why ?

I hope you'll find a solution !!! thanks and bye bye !

Stef