RE: Segmentation fault installing YDL champ 1.1 on RS/6k F50

Subject: RE: Segmentation fault installing YDL champ 1.1 on RS/6k F50
From: Moertel, Tom (TMoertel@seic.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 07:38:53 MDT

On Thursday, September 16, 1999 7:57 PM, schinder@pobox.com wrote:

> That sounds like the problem I had with my Zip 100 installing YDL CS
> 1.1 on my Performa 6400. The installer would seg fault because there
> was no Zip in the drive. The solution was to put one in (HFS I think,
> but so long as it knows about the filesystem, it probably doesn't
> matter).

In our case, "putting one in" is equivalent to replacing an AIX partition
table with one that the YDL installer recognizes. That will hose down our
AIX volumes, something that we must avoid.

> But I've also read that simply pulling the drive out of the chain will
> work. Can you remove the AIX only drives, or is that not a
> possibility?

Like I said, the beast has 14 drives, and removing them is non-trivial.
Also, the drives we're installing YDL on are /dev/sdi, /dev/sdj, and
/dev/sdk. Removing the AIX drives (/dev/sda, ... /dev/sdh) would cause
Linux to recognize the YDL drives as different devices (starting at
/dev/sda). While the installation might work, the installed Linux
configuration would break when we put the drives back in, pushing the YDL
drives to their old /dev/sdi, ... slots.

NEW IDEA:
Is there a way to use the installer's kickstart features to prevent the
installer from trying to scan the drives' partition tables?

Cheers,
Tom