Re: POP3 commands and Fetchmail

Subject: Re: POP3 commands and Fetchmail
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 08:27:48 MDT

Quoting Evan Read (evan@netaccess.co.nz) from Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 01:54:51AM +1200:

> Hey all. Fetchmail currently sends the command "LAST" (I know this after
> using verbose mode) to the server but the server doesn't recognise it. If
> I run fetchmail from console, I get the error:

Sounds like you're dealing with either a POP2 server, or a rather broken
POP3 server. Eric notes that

  Fetchmail will work with any POP, IMAP, or ESMTP/ETRN server that
  conforms to the relevant RFCs (and even some outright broken ones
  like Microsoft Exchange). This doesn't mean it works equally well
  with all, however. POP2 servers, and POP3 servers without LAST,
  limit fetchmail's capabilities in various ways described on the
  manual page.

What pop3 daemon are you retrieving mail from?

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services