Weird problem with passwd...

Subject: Weird problem with passwd...
From: chuck's list account (cglist@mac-mgrs.org)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 10:50:08 MDT

I just added a new user to my YDL 1.0 (yes, I have 1.1, but haven't
installed the update yet!... it is on the schedule). I originally use
the "useradd" script. All seemed to go well.

He was able to login with the password I provided him but reported
that he couldn't change it. That seemed odd to me since this is a
competent unix-savvy guy. Digging a little further he reported that
when he typed "passwd" the system reported he was trying to change
*my* passwd.

I figured this must have been some issue of how I was logged in when
I created his account.

So I deleted his account and tried again... this time using "su -
root" when I became the superuser...

Now when he logs in it wants to change *another users'* passwd!

To explain: there are 3 human users on this system, "cg" (me), "tom"
and "andy"..

I su and create andy's account. When he then logs in and types
"passwd" the system responds:
>[andy@localhost andy]$ passwd
>Changing password for cg
>(current) UNIX password:

So I then delete his account and create a new one, with useradd:
>[andy@localhost andy]$ passwd
>Changing password for tom
>(current) UNIX password:

Frustrated, I delete again and this time manually add his account
with completely different uid and gid info than what the useradd had
given, and...
>[andy@localhost andy]$ passwd
>Changing password for tom
>(current) UNIX password:

Grrr...

I recall running into something like this once before with a intel
linux distro many years ago, but I don't have enough memory cells in
my brain to recall what I did too fix it (six years of administering
SunOS and Solaris overflowed my buffers about 4 years ago and I
haven't recovered since...)

Anyone have a clue for me here?

-chuck