Re: RS/6000 43P

Subject: Re: RS/6000 43P
From: Sean M. Alderman (netsurfer@mindless.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 10:57:31 MDT

I'm trying a 43P model 132...which can only use an F1/F4 (for the IBM SMS
disk) and F2 for the boot device options.

I had a thought about something...for the future of the RS/6K portion. All
of IBM's AIX media will boot in any model of IBM machine. I have a single
CD set that I used to install/upgrade AIX 4.2.1 on all 11 of my
RS/6Ks...these are a mishmosh of 250s, 39hs, j40s, j50s, 43ps, and r30s. So
the boot image on that one CD booted all these different rs/6ks.

Wouldn't it be great if a similar universal boot image was created and added
to the YDL CD set?

Also, IBM hardware support suggested the idea of writing the ZIMAGE file to
a CD for some of the older 43P models - the 132 model won't boot a
floppy...only update firmware/microcode.