Defining a PPP dial-up using menus

Subject: Defining a PPP dial-up using menus
From: Luca Giroux (luca@CAM.ORG)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 13:15:04 MDT

I just installed YDL from the CD on my PowerMac.
As a Macintosh user and new to Linux, I answered YES to autostart "X" at
the end of installation process,

I successfully got connected to the internet (I like YDL) with my
GlobalVillage modem after doing the following.
I thought might help other newcomers.

As instructed by my ISP info (at www.cam.org), I created a file
"/etc/ppp/options" like this.
connect
-detach
modem
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
mtu 552
mru 552
name luca

Where "luca" is my user-id at the ISP.

A) Add Name server info

 1-To access the main configuration menu, do not try any existing menu but
rather click on a terminal icon (it works in KDE and Gnome) to start a
terminal session and type the command:
        linuxconf
This will bring you to the main configuration menu.

2-Click on "Name server specification" line.
3-Enter the ISP domain (ex.: hip.cam.org) and the numeric IP address (ex.:
198.168.100.3)

4-Click "Accept" button.

B) To add a PPP dial-up connection using the menus:

5-Click on "PPP accounts" line.
6-Click the "Add" button.
7-Enter the ISP phone, login and password, click the use PAP box.
8-Click "Accept".
9-Click the "Connect" button.
The new PPP will be registered when you Quit (press the "Quit" button) the
linuxconf.

10-Use the normal menu to start Netscape and you're surfing the
Web.

The complete documentation is available on the YDL CD-ROM at this location:

    file:///YellowDog_Install/doc/rhmanual/manual/doc070.htm

--
Luca
luca@cam.org