Re: Adding Users using menus

Subject: Re: Adding Users using menus
From: Sean M. Alderman (netsurfer@mindless.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 14:50:38 MDT

Adding Users using menusThere are several ways, other than using the KDE user/group admin tool, to add users. Keep in mind that unlike MacOS, Linux's GUI is a client/server application running on a command-line based operating system. For the ultimate power of configuring your box, you shouldn't need XWindows at all...even X is often best to configured from the command line. The documentation for how to perform system administration tasks is available, you just have to know where to look.

There seems to be a lot of this RTFM stuff in the Linux/Unix community, and I hate to do it here...but there are some definite resources other than mailing lists that are available to help with resolving problems...after all, no one knows your system better than you do.

First off-
man pages! From Xterm - man useradd (or adduser)
Check the how-to's. These are mirrored all over the world, but the main source is : http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO (Notice the User Group HowTo...if you're in an area with out a linux user's group - start one.)
Documentation from other distributions - SuSE, Red Hat, Caldera - all have extensive Linux documentation (which is somewhat distro-independant).
For GPL/Open Source Software : http://www.freshmeat.net
For a quick chat (always my last resort) - http://www.linux.com