Re: Kerberos (fwd)

Subject: Re: Kerberos (fwd)
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Sun Sep 19 1999 - 16:53:38 MDT

Quoting Daniel P. Hembree (danny-hembree@dynamical.org) from Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 02:14:59PM -0700:

> >> I'm doing some testing, and I'd like to install server-side
> >>kerberos on my 7500
> >> running CS 1.1 (I'm doing some testing of kerberized disk mounting using
> >> netatalk). Has anyone yet tried to compile the MIT source for linux-ppc or
> >> yellowdog in particular? There don't seem to be any binaries, and
> >>I'm getting
> >> small (and seemingly insignificant) erros when I try to compile the source
> >> myself.
> >
> >Yes, I have tried this, in fact, Black Lab Linux is going to be including
> >Kerberos v5 1.0.6 binary RPMS. We'd like to put them up for download, but
> >we have to figure out a way to deal with the export regulations
> >'messiness' first..
>
> Clinton is lifting the export restrictions

Ah, if it were so straightforward. Unfortunately, this isn't the case;
there are some changes to munitions-export regulations that make it
easier to export controlled cryptography, but that assumes that the
crypto in question is exportable in the first place.

The situation is described nicely in the Kerberos FAQ,
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/kerberos-faq/general/section-15.html>.

Perhaps the best bet would be to get the BL binary RPMs included with
the rest of the binary distributions at MIT (see
<http://web.mit.edu/network/kerberos-form.html>) or use a similar set
of questions for distribution locally.

Having said THAT, krb5 *has* been exported; they've got RPMs for Red
Hat on i386 at replay.com. I can't remember if replay just imports it
and relies on the Dutch government for protection from US authorities,
or if they built them themselves (from scanned source, for instance).
If anyone comes across legit source for krb5 outside the US, I'd
happily build it here and import it.

   -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services