DHCP: PUMP vs. DHCPCD

Subject: DHCP: PUMP vs. DHCPCD
From: Stuart R. Hall (gasdocstu@my-Deja.com)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 20:17:18 MDT

Hey there,

I've got YDL Champ Server 1.1 loaded and running (well, I might add!) on a PB G3 400MHz. I'm having a problem with DHCP IP addresses, though, and am wondering if any others have had similar problems.

When I first installed YDL, I had my machine plugged into a friend's LAN, with his Unix box as the DHCP server. PUMP worked fine to grab an IP address on boot. However, once I got home, and tried to connect up to my ADSL, PUMP wasn't happy with whatever my ISP's DHCP server was sending. Brining up eth0 would just fail; an ifconfig command revealed only that the local interface was up.

DHCPCD will easily grab a working IP address from the DHCP server, but it's apparently not releasing/refreshing appropriately; after a while online (15-30 minutes or more), the net connection hangs, and I have to killall dhcpcd, then rerun dhcpcd and get a new address. Then things work fine.

When I run MacOS 8.6, using TCP/IP configured for DHCP, I have never had such a glitch.

Anyone know what's up with Pump, or has anyone had a similar problem? My ISP is Southwestern Bell, which evidently is run by PacBell.

Thanks in advance . . .

Stuart

---
Stuart Hall