Re: Listserve suggestion...

Subject: Re: Listserve suggestion...
From: John L Grantham (jgrantha@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 00:25:25 MDT

On 21.9.99 6:43 am, Rich Lafferty at rich@alcor.concordia.ca was inspired
to say:

>Quoting BondTrails@aol.com (BondTrails@aol.com) from Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at
>12:11:45AM -0400:
>> I vote on [YDL General] added to the subject line before the actual subject
>> or a signature footnote at the end of the message saying "YellowDog Linux
>> Mailing List"
>
>No. Changing the subject is annoying; learn to filter your mail the
>way everyone else does. But changing the *body* of the message is
>outright *wrong*.
>
>If your mailer doesn't show the "To:" or "Cc:" header that contains
>"yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com", then your mailer is
>severely broken. Replace it.

I agree. I simply have my e-mail client look for the Received: line to
see if it contains terraplex.com, and it works like a charm. Anything
from YDL lands in that folder. Other possibilities exist--there are
several headers that one can use for filtering, like the one Rich
mentions. Diddling with the subject line is a pain--you end up with
rather longish subjects that obscure what the *real* subject is. To wit,
one often ends up with things like "Re: [YDL] Re: [YDL] Old subject here
Re: [YDL] Old subject here Re: [YDL] [YDL] Old subject here Re: [YDL] Old
subject here" and such nonsense, depending on what e-mail client each
reply was using.

I do support having a digest (in fact, I coulda sworn there /was/ one),
but I'm just peachy with the way things are now.

cya

John

---

John Grantham | Freelance Graphic and Web Designer | Dipl.-Designer (FH) | Homepage: http://surf.to/multimedia | MacLinux: http://www.maclinux.de/