Disk problem!

Subject: Disk problem!
From: Clifford Leong (leong@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 07:59:28 MDT

I have Champion 1.1 (kernel 2.2.6-15 I think?) running on a B&W G3 with one 8GB UW scsi disk. I've been testing this setup for over a month to determine whether I want to use it as a http and ftp server. I think not after this last incident.

The disk is reporting duplicate bad blocks in /dev/sda8 (/var I think) and wants me to fsck. It says "Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup)", but it doesn't accept my root password. Control-D reboots. How do I get to single-user mode?

Thanks for any help.