Re: Listserve suggestion...

Subject: Re: Listserve suggestion...
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@apogee.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 01:33:53 MDT

>I agree. I simply have my e-mail client look for the Received: line to
>see if it contains terraplex.com, and it works like a charm. Anything
>from YDL lands in that folder. Other possibilities exist--there are
>several headers that one can use for filtering, like the one Rich
>mentions. Diddling with the subject line is a pain--you end up with
>rather longish subjects that obscure what the *real* subject is. To wit,
>one often ends up with things like "Re: [YDL] Re: [YDL] Old subject here
>Re: [YDL] Old subject here Re: [YDL] [YDL] Old subject here Re: [YDL] Old
>subject here" and such nonsense, depending on what e-mail client each
>reply was using.

I wouldn't normally "me too" a mail list, but since we're having a vote
:-). I'd prefer not to have a tag added to the subject line. Having said
that the thing about adding stuff to the subject line is *keep it short*.
If people *really* want something there the I'd suggest [ydl],
[yellowdoglinux] is just way too long.

I use filters (under Eudora on MacOS) with the rule "any-reciepient"
contains yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com and I've not had a
single message get past that yet!

I'm completely happy the way things are really. Only thing I'd suggest is
that there could be a more obvious section on the website for the mailing
lists with instructions on how to subscribe and unsubscribe. I obviously
found it at some point, but for those who want to unsubscribe it's a bit
tricky to find IMHO.

>I do support having a digest (in fact, I coulda sworn there /was/ one),
>but I'm just peachy with the way things are now.

Me too!

Cheers

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
6 Tomline Road, Ipswich, IP3 8BZ, England