Re: Proftp 1.2.0pre6

Subject: Re: Proftp 1.2.0pre6
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 20:10:11 MDT

Quoting Benjamin Karas (bjk4@po.cwru.edu) from Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 09:37:55PM -0400:
> Given that Proftp and wuftp, two of the more common ftp servers around
> right now, both have bugs and exploits running around, what kind of ftp
> server do you suggest I run. I don't want to play catchup with the bug
> lists forever.

If you don't need anonymous ftp, I'd recommend the 'stock' ftpd; I
don't know if there's an RPM for it, but it's an easy build. (It's
the openbsd ftpd.)

If you do need anonftp, then Dan Bernstein (of Qmail fame) has an
anon-only ftp daemon which is a textbook example of security by
simplicity.

I don't have URLs handy, but I posted both about a week ago when the
ProFTPD rpms were released, so it'll be in the archive.

  -r.

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services