Re: Proftp 1.2.0pre6

Subject: Re: Proftp 1.2.0pre6
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 20:22:33 MDT

At 10:10 PM -0400 9/21/99, Rich Lafferty wrote:

>Quoting Benjamin Karas (bjk4@po.cwru.edu) from Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at
>09:37:55PM -0400:
> > Given that Proftp and wuftp, two of the more common ftp servers around
> > right now, both have bugs and exploits running around, what kind of ftp
> > server do you suggest I run. I don't want to play catchup with the bug
> > lists forever.

OK, somebody please tell me what's "running around" for wu-ftpd that
wasn't fixed last week by the patch they issued. I haven't seen
anything on BUGTRAQ since then about wu-ftpd, while the proftpd
exploits arrive there within minutes of the new releases.

>If you don't need anonymous ftp, I'd recommend the 'stock' ftpd; I
>don't know if there's an RPM for it, but it's an easy build. (It's
>the openbsd ftpd.)

Is it PAMified so that I can at least use opie? I don't let my real
password go in the clear, ever. One reason I like wu-ftpd is that
it's so easy to add in s/key support, and Fetch on MacOS supports
that nicely.

>If you do need anonftp, then Dan Bernstein (of Qmail fame) has an
>anon-only ftp daemon which is a textbook example of security by
>simplicity.

The only thing to be aware if is that Dan uses his own way of doing
directory listings. It's very easy to parse, and it's supported by a
lot of common clients (both lynx and Netscape, IIRC), but not by all.
People sometimes have trouble with it.

Dan's should be at his site: <http://pobox.com/~djb/>

> -r.
>

>--
> Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services
> Concordia University, Montreal, QC (514) 848-7625

-----
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com