Re: XFree86 3.3.5

Subject: Re: XFree86 3.3.5
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 14:51:26 MDT

Andrew Ptak wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a strawberry 266 Mhz iMac (no idea what rev that would be). When
> I installed YDL 1.1, it automatically setup X with one mode, 32 bpp at 800 x
> 600, and it feels like no acceleration. I would prefer 24 bpp at 1024 x
> 768. I tried installing the updates Tim Rini mentioned below, but when I ran
> Xconfigurator, it said I only have 1 Mb of vram and no accel., and none of
> the video modes it produced in XF86Config worked (likewise for
> Xautoconfig). I have also had no luck with the XF86Config on imaclinux.net.
> The boot params. I am using are video=atyfb:vmode:17 (I have also tried
> adding ,cmode:32). Any suggestions?

Try this:

1. Change your Monitor settings in MACOS from Millions of colors to Thousands
of Colors

2. Then try changing the refresh Resolution to different rates for the same
sizes of screen.
     I don't have an Imac but I had trouble at 1024x768 @75 but X booted
correctly at 1024x768 @85 I'll need to verify this with a planned test but
that's the one that works for now. I used Xconfigurator and mouseconfig BEFORE
I changed the resolution. Don't know if that makes a difference either. I must
have rebooted 50 times with various XFConfig files before I tried the changes to
the monitor settings under MACOS. We need to document the relationships here!

I'm putting together a diagnostic script for X crashes that captures relevant
logfile info and configuration info in a single text file. Should be ready
tonite. Stand by.