G4 Problem (hda DMA timeout)

Subject: G4 Problem (hda DMA timeout)
From: Simon Finne (simonfi@multi.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 01:22:27 MDT

Hello! Yesterday my new 400MHz G4 machine arrived, and I was look forward
to installing Yellow Dog linux on it. Since it said on the homepage that
YDL will run out of the box on the 400MHz G4 I didn't even mind to look
for some special kernels or anything.

When I tried to boot, using the vmlinux file included in the BootX package
(I think, or it might have been in the install directory) everything
seemed fine until it came to the 'partition check hda'. The harddrive
started spinning, and after a little while "DMA timeout" was reported. In
a few seconds the kernel crashed with a "kernel stack overflow" error.

I would certainly be very happy to get any help, what am I going to do
with a G4 without being able to run linux? :)

| Simon Finne (simonfi@multi.fi) |
| http://www.multi.fi/~simonfi |