Apple Powerbook G3,400 Mhz, ATI Graphics

Subject: Apple Powerbook G3,400 Mhz, ATI Graphics
From: Rob Comstock (robc@falcon.kla-tencor.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 07:51:04 MDT

Good Morning All:

I am considering the purchase of a powerbook G3 and running linux. I
have a fair amount of experience on my Dell laptop and am considering
the Apple for a couple of reasons:

        - about half the weight
        - battery lasts almost twice as long
        - faster processor (400 MHZ G3 vx PII@300Mhz)
        - built in enet and modem, Dell needed pcmcia cards.

Does anyone out there have experience installing and using yellowdog
server 1.1 on this type of machine? My Dell also uses the Rage LT
Pro video chipset and I understand that XFreee version 3.3.5 now
supports this out of the box with their Mach 64 server. Does this
recompile and work on PPC on the Apple? Currently I am running
the commercial Xig X server on my Dell and have been VERY happy
with it but don't think they support the PPC right now...

Do the ethernet drivers support full duplex 100 Mbit connections?
Switching between 10 and 100 hubs? Is the modem supported? The
Dell has a WinModem (read software modulation/demodulation) and is
therefore not supported by linux now.

Thanks in Advance for any information!

Rob