printing

Subject: printing
From: Jason Knight (ftjek@uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 19:29:12 MDT

This is sort of a general question...
How do all of you folk print?
To put this in context, I have a LaerWriter 600 that I want to make
available to a mix of pc's and macs in my lab/office. Mac is no problem,
just plug it into the network and it is available as an appletalk
printer. pc's don't afford this luxury. My first thought was to hook it
up to a mac running linux (initially, the thought was an old 6100 running
mklinux). Install, install netatalk, no probs, linux can see the network
no probs, the network can see linux as an apple fileshare server and I
can move stuff back and forth and all, but I can't get the box to print
to the laserwriter (I searched the web and found a few different faqs
telling me how to do this, and none of them seemed to work, don't know if
it is differences between ppc and intel flavors of linux or what.) I can
use linux as a print server if I hook the printer up to the mac/linux box
and configure the printer to print as a a serial printer, but that is
abysmally slow. Now, I've repartitioned my powerbook to install ydl cs
1.1, figuring maybe this distribution would be a bit easier to deal with
- if nothing else, I can bring it home to work on at night. Same deal,
can't figure out how to print to an appletalk printer through netatalk.
Any thoughts? Common missteps in configuring to print to appletalk?
Thanks to any and all for the help.

Jason