ProFTP security

Subject: ProFTP security
From: Jason P. Stanford (jps3@lehigh.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 06:17:14 MDT

All:

   I've been updating ProFTP according to the updates posted on this
mailing list, and currently have pre7 installed (the latest, I believe).
I was wondering just how secure it is? Are the security holes that have
been found recently very dangerous, or a mild annoyance? Is is "safe"
for me to turn ftp services back on?
   Also, on a related note, what's a good place to start learning about
basic to advanced network security. I am not looking to crack down on
users and system resources, I just want enough knowledge to track
attempts and exploits and handle them accordingly. I am of the opinion
that a convenient system is a productive system for its users. I would
hate to have to implement strict, draconian rules and regulations out of
fear of the system going belly up. I will be a bit paranoid until this
department sees fit to cough up the dough for a tape drive!
   Thanks...

                                                            Jason