Re: dir colors

Subject: Re: dir colors
From: Michael Messano (messano@dicomed.com )
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 09:57:44 MDT

>Ok.. here is one for the list. I want to change my ls colors.
>According to all the information I have been able to get my hands
>on.. the colors are defined in /etc/DIR_COLORS, then if you copy
>that to ~/.dir_colors you can further tweak colors as you see fit.
>Is there any reason this won't work under YDL??
>
>If I do ls --color or ls --color=tty then I get some colors but not
>everything. Dirs are blue (as in the default /etc/DIR_COLORS and it
>makes anything with an 'x' green but.. everything else is plain
>white. The archives aren't red and the image files aren't magenta.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions??
>
>-Aaron
>
>/^\ ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
>\ / X "We have solutions, just not for your computer"
>/ \ --Microsoft Tech Support

Aaron
        Here's my 2 cents. When I set up a system, the first thing I
do to my .bashrc file is add this line:
alias ls='ls -h --classify --color'
        This will give you colors and also indicate what type of file
each entry is. This works in the gnome terminal as well, but I am
unsure about other terminal programs.

Michael

Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question.
: The answer is No.