general email problem

Subject: general email problem
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 01:05:43 MDT

Below is an email I sent to a guy who was playing with my email setup in
Linux. His aim was to get sendmail working for me. Unfortunately,
Slackware and YDL were too different for him to get working. He reckons
he didn't contribute to my problem, but here is the email I sent him:

Hey dude.

For some reason, my mail in Linux (all mail, not just fetchmailed mail) is
being sucked into a black hole. I got it to work once or twice last
night.

I do a fetchmail -c (check but don't download) and saw this morning that I
had 39 messages. I then did a fetchmail -v (verbose mode) to get them.
They seemed to come down ok, but they are not ending up in
/var/spool/mail/eread. So I have lost the last two days email.

Have you any ideas whether the email is recoverable and, if so, where is
it?

Here is an example of me doing a fetchmail -c:

fetchmail: IMAP connection to pop3.netaccess.co.nz failed: Connection
refused
fetchmail: Invalid command, try one of: STAT, LIST [msg], RETR msg, TOP
msg n, DELE msg, UIDL [msg], NOOP, RSET, QUIT
3 messages for readevan at pop3.netaccess.co.nz (19297 octets).

Here is me trying to get it with fetchmail -v:

fetchmail: 5.0.3 querying pop3.netaccess.co.nz (protocol auto) at Thu, 30
Sep 1999 10:14:35 +1200 (NZST)
fetchmail: 5.0.3 querying pop3.netaccess.co.nz (protocol IMAP) at Thu, 30
Sep 1999 10:14:35 +1200 (NZST)
fetchmail: IMAP connection to pop3.netaccess.co.nz failed: Connection
refused
fetchmail: 5.0.3 querying pop3.netaccess.co.nz (protocol POP3) at Thu, 30
Sep 1999 10:14:36 +1200 (NZST)
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Cubic Circle's v1.21 1997/08/10 POP3 ready
<2a560000488ff237@cirrostratus.netaccess.co.nz>
fetchmail: POP3> USER readevan
fetchmail: POP3< +OK readevan selected
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Congratulations!
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 4 20993
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Invalid command, try one of: STAT, LIST [msg], RETR
msg, TOP msg n, DELE msg, UIDL [msg], NOOP, RSET, QUIT
fetchmail: Invalid command, try one of: STAT, LIST [msg], RETR msg, TOP
msg n, DELE msg, UIDL [msg], NOOP, RSET, QUIT
fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< +OK But remember to DELETE messages REGULARLY
fetchmail: POP3< 1 6f647560192f0000
fetchmail: POP3< 2 587968dadb170000
fetchmail: POP3< 3 df5d2cc901040000
fetchmail: POP3< 4 c24b1e9c7c060000
fetchmail: POP3< .
4 messages for readevan at pop3.netaccess.co.nz (20993 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 4 messages (20993 octets)
fetchmail: POP3< 1 12093
fetchmail: POP3< 2 6143
fetchmail: POP3< 3 1061
fetchmail: POP3< 4 1696
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 1 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 12093 octets
reading message 1 of 4 (12093 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.1;
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:14:41 +1200
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-localhost.localdomain Hello localhost [127.0.0.1],
pleased to meet you
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-EXPN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-VERB
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-8BITMIME
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-DSN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ONEX
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ETRN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-XUSR
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<CNET_Computers__@1.digital.cnet.com>
SIZE=12093
fetchmail: SMTP< 501 <CNET_Computers__@1.digital.cnet.com>... Sender
domain must exist
fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset state
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.1;
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:14:42 +1200
fetchmail: SMTP> HELO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 localhost.localdomain Hello localhost [127.0.0.1],
pleased to meet you
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost>... Sender ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<CNET_Computers__@1.digital.cnet.com>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <CNET_Computers__@1.digital.cnet.com>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
fetchmail: SMTP: (bounce-message body)
fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 KAA00785 Message accepted for delivery
fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP< 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection
.......... flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message 1 deleted
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 2 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 6143 octets
reading message 2 of 4 (6143 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<owner-MWMACHEADLINES@tipworld.com> SIZE=6143
fetchmail: SMTP< 501 <owner-MWMACHEADLINES@tipworld.com>... Sender domain
must exist
fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset state
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.1;
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:14:48 +1200
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<owner-MWMACHEADLINES@tipworld.com>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <owner-MWMACHEADLINES@tipworld.com>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
fetchmail: SMTP: (bounce-message body)
fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 KAA00793 Message accepted for delivery
fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP< 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection
.... flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message 2 deleted
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 3 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1061 octets
reading message 3 of 4 (1061 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<evan@advcomm.co.nz> SIZE=1061
fetchmail: SMTP< 501 <evan@advcomm.co.nz>... Sender domain must exist
fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset state
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.1;
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:14:53 +1200
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<evan@advcomm.co.nz>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <evan@advcomm.co.nz>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
fetchmail: SMTP: (bounce-message body)
fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 KAA00801 Message accepted for delivery
fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP< 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection
 flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 3
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message 3 deleted
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 4 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1696 octets
reading message 4 of 4 (1696 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<greyleaf@yggdrasill.net> SIZE=1696
fetchmail: SMTP< 501 <greyleaf@yggdrasill.net>... Sender domain must exist
fetchmail: SMTP> RSET
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Reset state
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.1;
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:14:54 +1200
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<greyleaf@yggdrasill.net>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <greyleaf@yggdrasill.net>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
fetchmail: SMTP: (bounce-message body)
fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 KAA00807 Message accepted for delivery
fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP< 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection
 flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 4
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message 4 deleted
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Was it as good for you, as it was for me? (clean as
a baby)
fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
fetchmail: SMTP< 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0
[eread@localhost eread]$

You will notice that I am running this as my user as always. I also
notice alot of SMTP activity going on!!!

So, this did not end up in my mailbox :(. Stuff I send from
eread@netaccess.co.nz seems to work, but everything else doesn't.

I played with some of the hostname stuff to see if that would work.

here is /etc/HOSTNAME:

localhost.localdomain

here is /etc/hosts.allow:

ALL: LOCAL
(I changed it back from ALL: 127.0.0.1 since that is what my PPP tutorial
had when this was working)

here is /etc/hosts.deny:

ALL: ALL

here is /etc/resolv.conf:

search netaccess.co.nz
nameserver 202.37.101.10
nameserver 202.37.101.9

here is /etc/mailname:

netaccess.co.nz (for some reason, this is part of the PPP tutorial, but
wasn't there when I got the machine back. I think adding this allowed me
to get mail sent from eread@netaccess.co.nz. Not sure though).

here is the key /etc/hosts: (this could be the problem??)

127.0.0.1 localhost loopback

Well, that is all the info I can give you. What do you think? This all
used to work (of course, I never knew why... now maybe I will learn ;)

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Ev.