Re: java in netscape? among other things...

Subject: Re: java in netscape? among other things...
From: Stuart R. Hall (gasdocstu@my-Deja.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 17:14:37 MDT

Here's the fix for Linux Netscape to run Java. It's simple, it's goofy, but you can then enable Java and it works.

As superuser or root, type:

/usr/sbin/chkfontpath --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

(It is a single-line command; stupid Deja is formatting my text in too few columns for it to look right)

Stuart

---
Stuart Hall
(sturob@swbell.net)
(gasdocstu@yahoo.com)
(gasdocstu@my-Deja.com)

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:23:40 steve steffler wrote: > >I recently installed YDL 1.1 from the ISO on the ftp site on a Powermac >6500/250, and almost everything is working fine. Things that aren't, >which I'm curious about: > >Appletalk - I'm part of a LAN (which I also maintain) of Macs and PCs, >running the Appletalk protocol. When I boot up, when it gets to the >section of the startup scripts which launch Appletalk, it says "too many >routes/iface". The LAN has four appletalk zones, seperated via three >hardware routers (Compatible Systems RISCrouter 4000s). . . between one >of the routers and the YDL machine are a couple of hubs, but that should >be no big deal... what gives? > >Also not working: Samba - however, I haven't attempted to poke around >inside of the configuration files for that one yet. > >The network connection on this machine is on eth0, and it's running >TCP/IP just fine... the atalkd.conf file is empty, and i've also tried >it with just 'eth0' in it and there is no difference in the result. >Anyhoo.. > >Also: netscape, java - loading in any page that tells netscape to start >java causes netscape to flat out die. Perhaps a java problem? In any >case, is there a way to recompile Netscape somehow? I take it this is a >custom PPC version, because I can't find a PPC compile of Communicator >anywhere on Netscape.com... > >Couple of other questions.. is there an office suite or a full >featured, X word processor (anything like StarOffice or WordPerfect for >Linux) that will run on a PPC version of Linux? All of the >installations and binaries for WP and StarOffice (that I could find, >anyway) wouldn't run, giving the error "Unable to execute binary file" - >I take it this is because I'm not running linux on an x86 machine, as >these programs expect? Are there any alternatives as far as a goodly >featured office suite for X (or a way to get Staroffice et. al to run on >YDL)? I need something to impress my bosses enough to use Linux for more >applications throughout the school I'm working for. :) > >And... linuxconf tells me that the DNS isnt' responding to its requests, >and it's not - I'm running MacDNS on a 7350 Workgroup server behind the >same router this machine is connected to the LAN through. Doing DNS >lookups on the internet (through the proxy server, we use internal LAN >IPs for all the machines except the gateway to the internet) is working >fine through Netscape, and I can ping the DNS server as well, but >linuxconf is confused and is telling me that i could be looking at major >problems later on as a result of this. Should I be worried? I'm >considering just setting up a local, caching DNS server for all of this >anyway, using bind, so it may not be a big deal anyway, I'm just >curious. Thanks, and I hope you guys can help me out on a few of these >questions/problems (if not all!) :) > >PS: Excellent job on the distro as a whole, I love the way X comes, KDE >is beautiful.. > >Steve > >-- >equatorial: >original electronic noise: http://listen.to/equatorial icq: 2690054 >Full Length Free MP3 downloads, RealAudio Streams and Cheap CDs > > >

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- Share what you know. Learn what you don't.