mount & fstab

Subject: mount & fstab
From: Benjamin Karas (bjk4@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 15:32:06 MDT

I have a few questions about mount and /etc/fstab. I have an HFS
partition I want to mount to
drwxrwx--- 2 root wheel 1024 May 6 00:06 Documents/

If I use the following line in /etc/fstab:
dev/sda6 /mnt/Documents hfs noauto 0 0
This happens:
drwx------ 15 root root 36 Aug 29 04:27 Documents/

If I use the following line in /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda6 /mnt/Documents hfs uid=0,gid=10,noauto 0 0
I get the following:
drwx------ 15 root wheel 36 Aug 29 04:27 Documents/

However, if I add mode=0770, mount won't work, as I had hoped.

I've also found that if I use sudo to mount the directory, I get
different permissions than if I su to root and then mount the
partition. (drwxr-xr-x instead of drwx------).

However, nothing I do gives the permissions I want. Does someone
know how to mount something so that a group can read everything, but
world cannot?

-Ben Karas