Help! Newbie with a Pismo!

Subject: Help! Newbie with a Pismo!
From: Chris Woo (chris@modctek.com)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 18:10:38 MDT

Alright, before you start bombarding the lists with emails about stuff most
people don't want to see, please send your helpful emails directly to me at

chris@modctek.com

and I will digest, rewrite in plain english, and post for general lay
consumption!

The Situation:

Complete Linux Newbie + Pismo 500 + YD Champion CD 1.2 = Trouble!

I've tried finding threads and assorted info on websites and mailing lists,
but most of it is very confusing techno-babble to me, which is embarrassing,
as I have been servicing computers for almost 10 years!

Basically, what happens is I boot my laptop from the YD CD which starts up
fine, then I get the hda: lost interrupt messages, and the Welcome Screen,
from which I can go no further. As I understand it, the current kernel on
the CD is incompatible with the new Pismo's, and that I need benh's kernel.

Here are my issues:
1. How do I figure out my partition numbers? I keep reading that PDisk does
not work with IDE drives, so how am I supposed to set up my partitions,
assuming I could get the CD to work? Should I have written down the exact
order of my drive partitions at the time that I set them up with Drive
Setup? IIRC, I set these partitions up in the following order: swap 132 MB,
type: linux; root 2000MB, type: linux; shared 2000MB, type HFS; MacOS 7800
MB, type HFS+;

2. How do I make a bootable installation disk/CD? I need EXACT, step-by-step
instructions, including URL's/locations of files needed. According to the
YDL Manual that came with my CD, there is a "simple" update that I need to
download off their website, and yet I find no mention of it on the website!

3. I am not a Tech-Newbie, just a Linux-newbie. Give me your hard-core
steps, and I will digest or ask for clarification.

TIA!

Chris Woo