kernel panic, newbie, ppc 7200

Subject: kernel panic, newbie, ppc 7200
From: Drew M. Talley (dtalley@ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 10:15:10 MDT

I am installing YDL on a PPC 7200/90 (I understand that it is not
supported officially, but that it WILL run). I installed off of a
new CD I just bought, and when the machine boots in linux, everything
seems happy (sees partitions, etc) until:

VFS : cannot open root device 00:00
Kernel panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

The particulars: PPC 7200/90, 192 MB RAM, loading onto an external
500 MB HD (so I put the bootx control panel, extension, and .img
files onto the internal Mac OS). 65 MB swap partition, 420 MB root
partition. Default packages installed.

While I am a complete linux newbie, I am marginally computer-savvy (I
started with a Commodore 64, used DOS forever, and now am a Mac
person). I followed the instructions for installation (in the pdf
manual) to the letter, and yet.....

Help?

--
Drew M. Talley