Please Help: MESH on 6400 /w G3 L2 Card.

Subject: Please Help: MESH on 6400 /w G3 L2 Card.
From: York Chan (york@bmg.bm)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 13:23:09 MDT

Hi Everyone,

I am running a PPC as following:

- Performa 6400 603e 200MHz with 80MB RAM
- Sonnecttech Crescendo G3 300MHz L2 Upgrade Card
- no IDE HD at all
- booting MacOS and YDL on External SCSI (Conner 4GB)

I can boot into YDL either using BootX Extension or BootX Control Panel,
no problem at all. But if I try booting my box with the G3 Extension
enabled then I have the following:

  :
  : {whatever these lines are ... don't matter}
  :
scsi0 : MESH
scsi : detected total.
  :
  : {whatever these lines are ... don't matter}
  :
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:06
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 08:06
Rebooting in 180 seconds ...

It seems that somehow MESH failed to initialize (or being detected) !?
Of course once I hit "Kernel panic ..." I can't get any further but reboot.

I've been trying to mess around with my extensions etc. I even created
a "near empty" extension set that consists of only G3 Extension and
BootX Extension. No it won't help.

I suspect that somehow the G3 is having a conflict with MESH but what
beats me is that I can do MacOS with both of them enabled.

I have checked the resources used by MESH under YDL (using 603e) as follow:

MESH, vendor id 106b, device id 7, non-prefetchable 32-bit memory
0xf3000000, chip set 53c96.

x x x

Since my knowledge on both Mac and Linux are minimal, can anyone please
kindly give me a hand on this !?

1. How can I mess around the resources (I/O, IRQ etc.) via boot kernel
command ? I have looked up the SCSI How-To but I couldn't find anything
for MESH.

2. Any other ideas that I can troubleshoot this problem ?

3. How can I find out the resources (I/O, IRQ etc.) used by the G3 under
MacOS ? (This information will certainly help, I presume !?)

Thanks in advance. Take care.

Yours truly,

York Chan
/YC:yc