Re: Has anyone got X to work on an AGP G4

Subject: Re: Has anyone got X to work on an AGP G4
From: Phil Brodd (pbrodd@cs.uiowa.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 12:13:11 MDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, claas wrote:

> > This was all I needed to get me running happily at 1280x1024. My
> only
>
> > question is whether or not I'm operating at the capacity of my
> monitor.
> > I have a ViewSonic P815 that can do 1280x1024 at 106 Hz, but the modes
>
> > used by the vmode command seem to be limited to 75 Hz. Is there a way
> > tell what my current refresh rate is, and increase it if it's really
> only
> > at 75 Hz?
>
> I read in the german magazine "MacUp" that the G4-AGP-graphics board is
> not capable of displaying more than 75 Hz in high resolutions. Their
> example was the 1152x870 (or 1152x864?) resolution.
>
> Bye, Claas

My Mac OS Monitors control panel claims to display 1280x1024 at 85 Hz. I
have no idea how to verify that claim, but I must admit that particular
resolution seems more "solid" under Mac OS than under XFree86 4.0. In
XFree I notice some slight flicker that isn't present in Mac OS at the
same resolution.

The XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO seems to address this, but I haven't tried
its tricks yet. The XFree lists might be of help too.

Thanks.

Phil