RE: OpenFirmware: ROM checksum failure!

Subject: RE: OpenFirmware: ROM checksum failure!
From: Richardsen, Reidar Andreas (reidar.richardsen@shf.no)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 09:18:39 MDT

Your boot-device is corrupted, not your PRAM / OF-settings. Insert a CD
(prefferably a Mac OS CD), disconnect the power to the corrupted drive (or
all drives) inside the machine and reboot. Now the machine should boot
correctly from the CD.

I've done this before, but only with a SCSI-drive. I reconnected the drive
when the machine was up and running. Drive Setup correctly recognised the
drive, and i reformatted it from there. I'm not sure if this works with
ATA-drives.

The first four partitions (partition map, drivers...) on the boot-device,
are critical in the boot-process of a Mac. If these partitions are in any
way corrupted, the machine will fail to boot, and drop back to Open
Firmware.

Hope this helps!

--
Reidar Andreas Richardsen