Please help with sound on a G3 !

Subject: Please help with sound on a G3 !
From: A. Tuazon (arnetuaz@enoreo.on.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 10:18:58 MDT

Hi, since I've installed YDL CS 1.2 on my b&w G3, I've never been able to
activate the sound. I tried the method described in the YDL Faq sheet on
the YDL site (modprobe dmasound) and this still doesn't work !

I've tinkered with aumix and still no sound even when I go into Xwindows,
... no sound whatsoever (except for my grunts of frustration ). Yes I've
even tried the sound mixers in Xwindows...still nada.

I know my sound system is fine on my Mac since it chimes happily each and
every boot and I get great sound playing cds, mp3s etc in Mac OS. I heard
that it could be due to BootX, however I booted Linux using both BootX and
Yaboot and still no sound.

I hope someone can help me out there

Sincerely
confounded and dazed

P.S. when I do use aumix, I give the command :

         aumix -q -v+75 -c R -c+10 -m q

I get back saying my volume is 100,100 and my speakers are 0, 99. Does
anyone know what this means, and if this is a problem ?