Re: Nic

Subject: Re: Nic
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 15:36:59 MDT

David Powers's bits of Sat, 26 Aug 2000 translated to:

>> I'm using a 3Com 3C900B in my 7600. These cards have been supported
>> since at least 2.1.24 AFAIK. You'll need to build a kernel with support
>> for these.
>>
>> -Myles
>
>Hmm, I have built the module for the 905 I've got, but when I try to
>load the module with modprobe, I just get a resource busy. And looking
>at /proc/pci the card is there and assigned to IRQ 23. Being more
>familiar with PC's, I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Hi - I recently ran into exactly the same problem while setting up Linux
on a friends PC. Ended up that the resource busy message was due to a
hardware conflict. The module was trying to load the NIC with the same
IRQ used by a SCSI controller. As in your case, I could see that the NIC
was there, but I couldn't do anything with it.

Jim