RE: Fatal server error: No valid modes found

Subject: RE: Fatal server error: No valid modes found
From: Pete Peters (ppeters@broadcastzone.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 14:31:22 MDT

Okay, Google-searching for Xpmac found a lot of dead ends. I finally found
Xpmac.rev10.gz at:

<ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/linux/suse/projects/powerpc/xpmac/>

Another site, as listed on Neil Jolly's X for the Power PC page
<http://members.home.com/njolly/xppc/faq.html> is:

<http://download.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/suse/projects/xpmac/>

I also discovered more posts in various lists and Neil's site, but many
specifics are missing. So, more questions:

a) Does XFree86 3.3.6 support Rage128?

b) Does XFree86 3.3.6 support 24 bit?

c) If the answer to a) or b) is NO, then why isn't the Xpmac package
included in the YDL distro? And if Xpmac is so useful, why is it so hard to
find?

d) I found several references, including KevinH's Xpmac ReadMe, to "use
BenH's kernal if you have a Rage128 card" w/ Xpmac. No info to what this
modified kernal is or where to get it other than "Ben's site." I have a Rage
Orion 128. Ben who? How about a url? Or is this info still relevant?

e) There was a New Xpmac announcement (in April 2000?) from Kevin B.
Hendricks that said the Xpmac rev 10 binary and source tars were available
at http://khendricks.ivey.uwo.ca/Xpmac/, but that's a dead link. Kevin?

<Soapbox>
This may be an interesting process for us geeks, but Linux will NEVER be
mainstream as long it requires these scavenger hunts.
</Soapbox>

TIA.

Pete
"Look there, Professor, up ahead. Light!"
from Journey to the Center of the Earth