Re: Security Issues...

Subject: Re: Security Issues...
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 23:15:42 MDT

>Depending on how you setup IPChains, you can minimize any returns from port
>scans and such, making your machine effectively 'dissapear' from the net.

So, IPChains allows me to turn on port masking, which won't return
anything if a port is active?

I didn't know that all of those requests were code red. I'm getting
hit a lot. I wondered why the activity light on my cable modem was
blinking, even when no tcp/ip packets were supposed to be coming in
or going out. It used to be always off when I wasn't doing internet
related work, but now it's flashing almost all of the time.

As for a firewall, my cable router has one, but I have my linux box
set as a host, because DNS wasn't working with just port 53 being
forwarded. At any rate, I don't think it'd stop the code red lines
in my access log, because I'd just have port 80 forwarded to the
linux box.

What purpose does the robots.txt file serve? The bot that requested
it was trying to index my website?

--Brian