Can't start X Server in 6400 installation.

Subject: Can't start X Server in 6400 installation.
From: Michael Alexander Owens (endymionmichael@mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 23:16:02 MDT

I recently tried installing YDL 2.0 in my 6400. I have 104 physical
megabytes and a 240MHz G3, 20GB Maxtor hard disk and a 4GB IBM SCSI-2 in
the upper bay. Installation of YDL was for the IBM SCSI. I followed all
manual instructions but the first thing I noticed was that whichever RAM
disk that I chose from BootX for the installation, the text installer
came up instead of the graphical one. (At least the Red/Blue screens I
saw were very different from the yellow/brown windows on the support
site.) Anyway I went ahead and installed the default Home/Office
install. At the end of the progress bar I was informed the installer
found no network device, and so I hit the OK button. Then on to
configuring the monitors.

In Mac OS I ordinarily use 800x600 at 60Hz with this 6400's built-in
video, /valkyrie is its chip as I've read elsewhere. This configuration,
at least in the Mac OS, always gave me thousands of colours (16-bit
video?) so I thought selecting that would be no problem,
800x600/60Hz/16-bit. (I could not find my monitor in the list.) So then
I come up to the part where it asks me to delete unused resolutions. Try
as I might I couldn't figure out how to do this so I just selected the
resolution I'd use, and continued. Then the installer told me it
couldn't finish since no network device was installed. If I pressed
cancel nothing happened, if I hit OK the installer quit.

Now it gets interesting. I restart and as per manual to go BootX to
uncheck RAM disk in Options, only for the fact that the RAM disk option
is not checked in that window any longer. (?) So I hit cancel and then
enter the /dev/sda6 configuration the installer informed me of and it
looks like I am good to go to start up from the IBM SCSI. And it starts.
And then I see the login: prompt... and then the screen blanks while
starting up X Windows graphics... and then after two seconds I get the
text again, which has several resolutions listed, all of which say they
have failed.

I tried running the X86Config and selected the desired resolution again.
This failed when initiating startx, as well as a complete boot. So I
installed again from the YDL CD. And I got the same thing I've detailed
above. Does anybody have any ideas on this one? I have a spare graphics
card, an ATI Rage128 Orion. I hadn't really wanted to use it for this
but if it isn't possible to use thousands of colours with the standard
video...

Thanks for any help in advance.

~Michael Alexander Owens