Re: Michael: printing+reformatting hda13 from ext2 to hfs

Subject: Re: Michael: printing+reformatting hda13 from ext2 to hfs
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 15:01:38 MDT

Hi Chris,

Well, I'd love to keep the DB in Memory, but, with 'only' 7.7 million
records, the db size is currently about 6 GB. I expect this to rise to
about 50 GB in the near future, this is when we will start to throw out
'historical' data. unfortunately, I can't keep all that in physical RAM
but on the other hand, it is unlikely that old data (older than a week)
will be accessed by anybody doing day-to-day operations. The user might
some time run a report for the last month, but that's about it. So, most
of the data will just sit there, unused, until purged.
I'm not sure how much RAM the current Macs can take, but surely, Memory
is not really a subject any more - my PB Pismo memory went down to $49
for a 512 MB (2-2-2 memory) module. 256 MB PC133, I saw for $25...

Best regards,
Chris