Re: dburcaw's 2.4.8 kernel works fine but ...

Subject: Re: dburcaw's 2.4.8 kernel works fine but ...
From: Carsten Milling (cmilling@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 11:39:48 MDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Dan Burcaw wrote:

> modprobe macserial
>
> On Friday 24 August 2001 10:37, you wrote:
> > There's yet another problem with this kernel on my TiBook:
> > When using wvdial it tells me that there is no /dev/ttyS0 although the
> > device file definitely exists. Does anybody know how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Carsten Milling

OK, now I can access the serial port, BUT ...
most of the time when I try to use the modem it does not respond.
Sometimes it works when I wvdial repeatedly, sometimes it 'helps' to
rmmod/modprobe macserial or even just probe /dev/ttyS0 with setserial.
I cannot really reproduce what makes it succeed or fail. It's all the more
strange because the modem works fine with the ydl 2.2.19 kernel. So I
assume it has to do with some changes in the serial driver.

Any hints how to further narrow down the problem would be highly
appreciated? (Rereading the modem and serial howtos didn't really
give me a clue)

Carsten