now / does not exist.

Subject: now / does not exist.
From: David Wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 20:10:51 MST

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, David Wright wrote:

> 40 GB Seagate Barracuda already partitioned (8 partitions) for writing to
> and Linux (linux formatted: 20 MB boot (HFS) 128 MB swap (Linux swap) 2000
> MB Root (Linux partition) home 500 MB (Linux)

This is your problem. You really need to let the OS partitioner make its
own partitions. Use Drive Setup for Mac partitions and parted or the YDL
installer for making linux partitions. Specficly the YDL installer needs
to create the ybin boot partition becasue Nothing else out there will set
it to the type ybin needs.

Wipe all the parttitions on the 'cuda (eg: they should be listed as "Free
Space") you want to use for linux and use the installer partition editor
to remake them.

-n

nathan,

Thanks for your help i did what you suggested. YDL made the proper ybin
partition. Now the problem is when i choose to boot to linux at the yaboot
prompt. After several screens of text (i choose the text login) it finally
ends up on a screen that states that there is no /dev/hdb17 (which shoud be
my swap partition) or /dev/hdb18 (which should be my root) and that i have
been dropped into a shell to correct this problem. It also states that i can
hit ctrl d to log in normally but that does not actually work (of course how
could i log in to a non-existant root) . Unfortunetly i do not know enough
commands or what is going on to actually fix this problem from the command
line and since i cannot actually log into linux i have to quit and reboot
into macos.

I don't know if part of the problem is that i would like so many partitions
on the 'cuda. I would actually like 8 partitions for various reasons and
varying work situations. I have had 8 partitions fine for writing to but now
i'm wondering if this is a possible problem for installation.

I would like to add linux to this scheme. (scheme already works without
linux - but everything is backed-up so i can totally repartition if not):

1. 850 MB Mac OS back-up System Folder
2. 850 CDR Burner
3. 3 GB Linux (then this sub partitioned for boot - swap - root - home -
usr)
4 1 GB text files only in progress(small files)
5. 15 GB Multimedia in progress (big files)
6. 15 GB Stored final work only (all work completed no writing to this
partition)
7. 1 GB Internet downloads
8. 750 MB cache

Since i can only set Linux space as "unallocated" (in Apple Drive set-up so
it will be read correctly for YDL) it serves up one block.
so now the paths become:
/dev/hdb9 is back-up Mac system folder
/dev/hdb10 CDR burner center
/dev/hdb11 Linux
/dev/hdb12 text files work
/dev/hdb13 multimedia
/dev/hdb14 stored work
/dev/hdb15 internet downloads
/dev/hdb16 cache

so when i go to YDL to make my Linux partitions it shows the hdb's above.
and automatically makes swap dev/hdb17, root dev/hdb18 etc, (and not swap
dev/hdb12 and root /dev/hdb13 which is what i would prefer and think should
be done) It doesn't seem good that swap and root arr at the outskirts of the
disk. Is this why they are not being created in the first place?

Any help or feedback anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you in advance

-david