Java plugin for mozilla 0.9.7

Subject: Java plugin for mozilla 0.9.7
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 08:01:13 MST

Ok, I am trying to get the java plugin installed for mozilla, but I
don't seem to get anywhere here.

First I just used the (blackdown) j2re-1.3.0 rpm package that was on the
yellowdog 2.1 distribution, together with mozilla 0.9.6.

I first tried to create a softlink to javaplugin.so as described in the
README file that comes with j2re

Result: mozilla refuses to startup. Instead it outputs the following
error message:
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load
/usr/j2re1.3/plugin/ppc/libjavaplugin_oji.so: linking
error=/usr/j2re1.3/plugin/ppc/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol:
XtShellStrings

System error?:: Success

Next I tried to create a softlink directly to libjavaplugin_oji.so,
since a message in the ydl mailing list archive said the java plugin
interface for mozilla had changed several times.

Now I can start mozilla ok, but as soon as java is required on a
webpage, mozilla core dumps ! Here's the error message on the console:

Register Env [0] proxyenv=268812592 tid=268550056
Register Env [1] proxyenv=276194600 tid=268550056

browser flags = 2
Create instance called in JavaPluginFactory5!!!!!!!!
initilizing the java plugin instantance
/usr/lib/mozilla-0.9.7/run-mozilla.sh: line 72: 1884 Segmentation fault
      (core dumped) $prog ${1+"$@"}

In the meantime I have downloaded (the freshly released) mozilla 0.9.7
in the hopes that would fix it, but the errors remain the same.

My final hope was to download j2re-1.3.0-PL1, since another message in
the archives said it was the only working one (thank got for the mailing
list archives ;-) ). The only pointer I had for this package is
penguinppc.org. But when I try to download the tar file there, I get a
404-file not found error ! The same for the other options there.

So I'm totally stuck now.

Can anybody tell me what is the final and correct way to get the java
plugin running ? And where (apart from penguinppc.org) I could try to
download the PL1 version of the j2re (or j2sdk, for that matter).

All suggestions are more than welcome.

Geert Janssens