Location manager type tool?

Subject: Location manager type tool?
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 22:37:56 MST

I'm sitting here mucking around with YDL on my Wallstreet G3 powerbook, and
realize that to do what I want, I need something like MacOS's Location
manager. Since the machine goes where I go, I'd like to be able to quickly
tweak it to configure to my current circumstances -- which might be at home,
at work, or neither -- and hooked up to a 10Bt, a Wavelan/Airport card, or
no network. There's also the possibility of a static IP address vs. DHCP,
although I'm hoping to handle it by DHCP when it's hooked up to a network.

I was busily putting together scripts to do this, when I realized someone
else had probably done this before, better than the hack I was considering.
So I stopped to ask for once... (grin).

Anyone got a nice, fun, easy way to do something like this? Better yet,
anyone got a nice hack that figures out what reality is during boot and
autoconfig in the right stuff magically?

Any thoughts on the right way to do this?

I know I have to upgrade the kernel to support the Wavelan card from Lucent.
I've got the dhcp client stuff ready to go (mostly). I'm not trying to do
the location manager completely -- I"m primarily worried about networks and
hostnames. Are there things I'm missing here?

Tanx

Chuq

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...