Re: S900 with turbo ide-scsi card and twinturbo and g3 card

Subject: Re: S900 with turbo ide-scsi card and twinturbo and g3 card
From: Nick (nicky@ninedoors.com)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 14:28:45 MST

on 2/24/01 3:37 PM, Allan E. Levy at allan@his.com wrote:

> Will this work.
> Does yellow dog see the turbo ide card?

I use a Turbomax ATA/33 card in a B&W G3 300. Drives attached to the card
are seen as hde/hdf and hdg/hdh, depending on which port they're attached
to. In my system the installer didn't see the drives I had attached to the
card when I booted from cd so I had to do some cable/drive swapping inside
the machine, install it on one drive (hda), reboot into Linux after the
install, edit /etc/fstab to see where the root partition was GOING TO BE
(hdg), shutdown, swap the cables and the drives so that hda became hdg, and
reboot into the system. That probably sounds really confusing, but I hope
somebody can make enough sense of it to explain it a little better until I
can figure out another way to word it.

If you do it all in the right order and take note of where you've made
you're partitions, you shouldn't have any problems. I could provide an
example if you need it. I'm pretty new at this myself, so it's quite
possible (read likely) there's a much simpler way of going about this.

One problem I continue to have with the card after getting YDL up and
running is that because the system now sees one of the ports on the card as
being for hde/hdf, it no longer sees my CDrom drive as hde, in fact it no
longer sees it at all.

So you see, boot from the CD, then the system sees the CDrom as hde, but
boot from a drive attached to the machine and it sees the port on the card
as being reserved for hde and ignores the internal CDrom at that address.
Unfortunately, I can't attach a CDrom drive to the card -- removable media
drives aren't supported by the card.

Hope that helps.

Nick