help installing vnc

Subject: help installing vnc
From: david bourke (dmbourke@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 20:13:09 MST

I tried installing VNC from the tasty morels CD. It is an RPM source code. I
ran the following commands:

rpm -ivh vnc-3.3.3-2.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/rpm/SOURCES
tar zxvf vnc-3.3.3_unizsrc.tgz
cd vnc_unixsrc

The README file says to do the following:

xmkmf
make World

I don't have the xmkmf command. It then says:

cd Xvnc
make World

When I do this I get an error:
gcc: cannot specify -l with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make[2]: ***[imake.o] Error1

I gave up on this and downloaded VNC for linux source code. After
downloading and decompressing it I followed the README file's instructions:

cp vncviewer vncserver vncpasswd Xvnc /usr/local/bin
mkdir -p /usr/local/vnc/classes
cp classes/* /usr/local/vnc/classes

when I run vncserver i get the following error:

vncpasswd: /usr/local/bin/vncpasswd: cannot execute binary file

I'm guessing that this version of VNC will only work on linux on a 386 PC,
not a mac.

Does anyone know how to install VNC on a mac system running YDL?
Thanks.