Re: usb storage driver

Subject: Re: usb storage driver
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 18:12:29 MST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Chris Alden wrote:
>Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to add mass usb storage
>support for YDL 2.1? Thanks.

 Just tried it for the first time today, and good news... it seems to
work. Here's what you'll likely need to do:

1) Fetch the most recent kernel (www.penguinppc.org for info on where to
get it). This might work with earlier kernels, but I think the USB mass
storage is fairly recent. I'm using 2.4.18-pre8 on my iBook2 and it works
with that.

2) Recompile kernel with USB mass storage device support. This *might*
require other file systems but I'm not sure. For safety sake, I also
inculded HFS support, DOS, VFAT, and Joliet support.

3) Reboot with new kernel.

4) Plug in USB device and watch /var/log/messages (you'll need to sudo or
be root to see this file try this command *before* you plug in your USB
device: sudo tail -f /var/log/messages). It should come up with a message
stating where it linked the device. For my camera (an Olympus C2040) it
used a SCSI driver for it and mentioned sda. So I did the following:

 sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

 and voila, I could copy my picts from my camera to my laptop runing Linux
for the first time. This way, my camera also doubles as a tiny USB drive
(64MB - wee!). Very cool.

Good luck.

NOTE: steps 1-3 might be to vague depending on your linux experience, if
so, don't be afraid to ask for more instructions, we've all been there at
one time.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017