Re: Palm/USB Sync with KPilot?

Subject: Re: Palm/USB Sync with KPilot?
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 17:07:19 MST

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:43:26 -0800
Stephanie Bryant <steph@scottrell.com> wrote:

> KPilotDaemon says "dev/pilot not found" when I try to run kpilotDaemon.
> I tried changing the device in KPilot to /dev/ttyUSB1 (as one document I
> saw suggested) and to /dev/ttyUSB0 (as another implied), but no luck.

Sounds like you're not sure which device the adaptor is attached on.

As root, view your /var/log/messages file and make sure that the device was actually detected. If it was, there should be lines indicating which /dev/tty* device it attached to. For example, I have a Keyspan USB-Serial adaptor and I can see the following lines when I load the appropriate modules:

Feb 8 07:13:17 maceva kernel: usbserial.c: Keyspan USA19 converter detected
Feb 8 07:13:17 maceva kernel: usbserial.c: Keyspan USA19 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)

Once you're sure which device it's attached on, link /dev/pilot to it and see if that helps any. At that point, try to run
pilot-xfer --list (as root)

If that works, try syncing as root with your palm sync program and if it works, tweak permissions accordingly.

-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm