Help installing fuji to iBook 600 with DVD Combo drive

Subject: Help installing fuji to iBook 600 with DVD Combo drive
From: Ben Derr (rev_karma@mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 16:32:49 MST

Greetings -

I have yet to receive love from the YDL 2.1 release on my iBook.

Could some kind soul send me the output of your 'dmesg' after
successfully booting iBook2 w/ a DVD Combo drive so I can compare with
what is happening with my device? ( Or maybe nobody can? )

When I boot the cd using the install-text, or install-gui it goes right
into loading without grief. I get the standard prompts for keyboard
type, language, etc, but when it goes for the media it fails without
incident or error that I can find in the install messages running on the
consoles. it simply reports that I do not have any media. It does not
appear to hit the drive at all.

When booting the 22 install kernels, i can see that the cdrw/dvd gets
detected as /dev/hdb, as 24X CDRW/DVD Sony, but still never registers as
far as the installer was concerned. When booting the "normal" kernels, I
get no detection messages and it fails as well with no errors other than
the lack of drive.

Now, my friend has an iBook2 that is the earlier model with 12.1 screen
and 500mhz with a plain cdrom. When he boots the cd, he blows right
past where I fail, his cd starts right up and the install goes
flawlessly. My theory is there's been a hardware change that causes this
since I just got it, but it is hard to say for sure. Anyone have any
logs laying around from their ibook 600 w/DVD Combo drive that may be
enlightening?

I like Darwin and all, but I much prefer Linux. Any suggestions? The
hard drive installation instructions look somewhat painful, so I'd
appreciate any other suggestions about my device issue.

FYI - I have unsuccessfully tried the earlier reported fix of issuing
"echo 0 /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media" in the consoles, etc.. , and
when I do this after a "normal" install kernel boot I get an error that
the file does not exist. When I boot the cd from 22 kernels, I can issue
the echo command adn verify it with cat, but it makes no difference to
the CD device. The install media is still not available... =-(

If I can get this running, I will gladly post a walk-through somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have ...

Cheers,

Ben