Re: Install of YDL 2.1 on Power Center Pro nothing but frustration

Subject: Re: Install of YDL 2.1 on Power Center Pro nothing but frustration
From: MARCUS Hall (marcus@cea.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 21:51:32 MST

I appreciate the repsonses that I received a few days ago. However, I am
still unable to get the installation to finish. I tried with just a swap
and root partition, hoping that the problem was not enough temp space for
the packages, but that did not work. The install failed at exactly the
same point, transferring packages. I also tried the install on my Beige G3
again with a partitioned drive (10MB Boot, 256MB swap, 300MB /, 3Gig /usr,
300MB /var, 400MB /home) and the install completed with no problem. That
throws the insufficient temp space theory out the window. That would be OK
if linux did not constatntly freeze and eventually refuse to boot once I
moved the drive back to the Power Center Pro. I can't even keep the system
up long enought to compile a new kernel. I haven't tried a precompiled
kernel because I've always run into compatability problems. I'm
particularly annoyed that Terrasoft deigned to cripple their installer so
that you can't install from a partition. I'd like to know the reason for
that choice. If anyone else has any other ideas please pass them on. I'm
desperate. Once again this machine has 256MB RAM and a 375Mhz Powerlogix
G3 daughter card. The drive I'm attempting to install onto is a 4.5GB IBM
DCHS 7200rmp 68-pin SCSI drive attached to an Adaptec 2940UW.

Thanks,

Marcus