RE: filesystem: URGENT

Subject: RE: filesystem: URGENT
From: Steve McGrane (mcsteve@globaltap.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 18:38:18 MST

type fsck /dev/drv[partnumber]

for instance:

fsck /dev/hda14

will check/clear your 14th partition on hda

to find your partition names, type "dmesg | grep hd", you'll get info about
your drives, then all the partitions on them. I'd suggest checking all your
partitions (that it allows, can't check swap, or HFS). If you only check
one and restart, you'll more often than not dropped out to check another
one.

You'll have to answer "Y" to lots of questions, your judgement as to wether
you should.

- Steve

Note: if your system is SCSI based, it will be sd, not hd.

- Steve