Re: TiBook Display Problems

Subject: Re: TiBook Display Problems
From: John Nelson (john@computation.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 03:23:38 MST

Urm.... I've run into a problem after adding an HFS partition to one of
my YDL/Mac disks. After adding the partition "Guanine2" to my YDL disk
with hformat, I try to boot into Mac OS but I get an error panel that
claims "SCSI Probe encountered a problem and crashed (try turning off
inits with SHIFT)" . I tried SHIFT while booting but that didn't turn
off SCSI probe.

The actual Mac boot stuff is on its own disk so I'm pretty sure that Mac
OS is ok. It's pretty clear that Mac OS is crashing because its probing
the disk with the new Mac partition and encounters something it REALLY
doesn't like.

Here's the YDL disk with the new partition in minor 3....

(parted) print
Disk geometry for /dev/sdb: 0.000-17547.607 megabytes
Disk label type: mac
Minor Start End Filesystem Name Flags
1 0.000 0.031 Apple
2 0.031 0.057 Macintosh
4 0.094 0.343 Patch Partition
6 2.344 12.344 untitled boot
7 12.344 268.344 linux-swap swap swap
8 268.345 13547.606 ext2 untitled
3 13547.606 17547.606 hfs Guanine2

Any ideas on how to correct this? I can't format this disk with Mac OS
because Mac OS will overwrite the YDL partitions almost assuredly. I
seem to be stuck using hformat and parted, but as you can see that isn't
working either.

-- John

John T. Nelson President | Computation.com Inc mail: | john@computation.com company: | http://www.computation.com/ journal of computation: | http://www.computation.org/ _____________________________________________________ "Providing quality IT consulting services since 1992"