Re: Upgrading Champion Server release 1.2 to Champion Server release 2.1?

Subject: Re: Upgrading Champion Server release 1.2 to Champion Server release 2.1?
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 16:19:46 MST

> > 1.2.1 -> 2.x *should* be possible with yup technology. I haven't had time
> > to hash out a HOWOT :(
> >

> Previous thought on this list has been that it's not yupable. My
> experiments have been similar, it's a ckicken or the egg solution:
> newer yup's -require-> rpm4 -require-> db3 -require-> updated glibc
> Rebuilding the packages from the 2.0 series for 1.2.1 still doesn't work,
> becasue it requires that glibc jump.
>
> Since most things in 1.2.1 require the version of glibc installed on
> 1.2.1, you're stuck doing the dist upgrade with the currently installed
> yup, which I belive doesn't want to do that. Please correct me if I am
> wrong :)

Well, those few components would need to be rebuilt against YDL 1.2.1
(db3, rpm, glibc).

Once that's done, things should happen as expected.

> > Yes. We know have our build process chrooted so it would allow our
> > build machines to have chroots associated with each rev of YDL.
> > In the past we'd have to keep old revisions on a machine here or there
> > and as machines are limited, this hasn't always been easily doable.
> >

> So, is that something you're going to start doing in the near future?

With YDL 2.2, I think we should be able to at least be putting out
YDL 2.2, 2.1/.0 updates. Going back to 1.2.1 might be hard just
because there would be quite a bit of catchup.

--

Regards, Dan Burcaw Terra Soft Solutions, Inc. http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/