Re: Stock Kernel compilation errors & module faults

Subject: Re: Stock Kernel compilation errors & module faults
From: Conrad M. Hirano (conrad_hirano@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 02:55:51 MST

on 1/14/01 4:02 PM, Matt Tyndorf at mtyndorf@home.com wrote:

> On startup, DEPMOD fails to read/write to the module dependencies file,
> but the problem is that its looking in the wrong directory, a directory
> for a kernel which is NOT installed on the machine.
>
> Right now I'm running a standard install of YDL 1.2, with kernel 2.2.17
> (straight off the CD). The startup is expecting kernel 2.2.15, so its
> looking in the wrong directory. How do I change this so I can finally
> get the DMAsound modules running? (and why is it even expecting 2.2.15
> if YDL installs 2.2.17 by default?)
>
> Oh, this install is running on a Powermac 9600/233 (604e PPC) , 128 megs
> RAM, 2 gig HD, IMS twinturbo graphics card.

I assume you're using BootX because you have a 9600. The copy of the kernel
which matters is the one on the Mac OS partition, not the one in the /boot
directory. Even though 2.2.17 was installed on your Linux partition, BootX
is loading the 2.2.15 kernel you have in your Linux kernels folder.

Copy the kernel in /boot over to your Mac OS partition, put it in the
appropriate folder, and configure BootX to use it instead of the one you
currently boot with.

Conrad