Re: YDL Install space requirements? (was: Re: Yeller Dog finally installing!)

Subject: Re: YDL Install space requirements? (was: Re: Yeller Dog finally installing!)
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 10:57:11 MST

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 11:17 AM, Doug Philips wrote:

> Gordon Neault <gordo-x@shaw.ca> indited:
>
>> The temp files can be much larger during install than in regular use;
>> if you create many partitions then it may be more difficult to >size
>> each one right for install even though your size choices are
>> >reasonable for actual day-to-day/intended use.
>
> Having only done a handful of YDL installs (an no other distro installs
> either!), is this an artifact of the YDL installer, or are you simply
> refering to the space that rpm itself is using? In other words, if I
> suss'ed out just what packages were installed and did it myself, would
> I have the same problem?

I can't really answer that. I really had no problems of this sort with
LinuxPPC G4/400 192MB but I did with YDL 2.1 on the new 867/1.18GB box.
The memory thing (I have lots) leads me to believe it's more a temp file
thing than a memory thing. I would like to try a few distro's but the
Geforce2 support keeps most of 'em off my current box.

As a newbie installing LinuxPPC a year ago I found that reading docs
from other distro's was very helpful. One example was video support in
LinuxPPC; it was the YDL 1.2 docs that had the best info for getting
that working. So, I d/l the Debian PPC docs, and they specifically
mention the temp file issue.