Install Problems YDL2.1 on a beige G3

Subject: Install Problems YDL2.1 on a beige G3
From: Don & Wendy Storey (dwstorey@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 17:34:10 MST

Trying to install on a mac clone (powerwave) (using bootx with both linux
kernels and the text based install). However, I can't get a successful
install. It gets through the partition and format successfully, but then
bombs out when trying to transfer the packages. I get a 'must correct
manually' error and subsequent failures.

I have tried some debugging. Just before it goes into the package
installation, I have looked on the other consoles. No real obvious warnings.
If I look around the partition (mounted on /tmp/root) there are files there.
If I use /sbin/parted with a check command, it complains about being
unmounted uncleanly. I have tried dismounting the partition and reformatting
using parted mkfs. It then checks ok. I reboot the system and go through the
install without changing the disk partitions and the same thing happens.

I've worked on Unix systems for years, but this is my first indepth exposure
to system setup/admin.

Any suggestions?